Spring break is just a few short weeks away and with the especially nice weather we have had I know a lot of you are thinking about eating healthier. Here is a recipe that's not only easy to make but is also tasty and healthy! Tilapia is a great fish to use not only because of its flavor but also because it is a sustainable fish. We use a lot of it here on campus with a great response. This is also a delicious meal for those of you who will be observing Lent over the next several weeks.
5 Spice Tilapia
- 6 oz filet of tilapia
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- 1 tablespoon reduced sodium soy sauce
- ¾ tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 scallion, thinly sliced
- In a small bowl combine brown sugar and soy sauce. And set aside
- Sprinkle both sides of the tilapia with the 5 spice powder
- Place small skillet over medium high heat and add oil.
- Add tilapia and continue to cook until edges turn opaque, about 2 minutes or so. Reduce heat to medium and using a thin spatula carefully flip fish over.
- Stir the sugar soy mixture into the pan. Bring sauce to a simmer, add scallion and continue to simmer until sauce has thickened slightly and fish is cooked.
- Remove fish from pan onto serving plate and pour pan sauce over the fish and enjoy!