Hi everyone. With Valentine’s Day being today I thought I would share an easy-to-prepare recipe that is a great way to impress that special someone. Because of the somewhat limited cooking facilities that a lot of students have I usually share a recipe that can be made in the microwave...so here you go!
Vegetable Couscous with Vegetables and Chicken
Yields 2 portions
- Half of a cooked rotisserie chicken, bones removed and the meat chopped or shredded.
- 1 cup instant couscous (Near East brand or similar)
- 2 scallions sliced thinly
- ½ teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 cup of your favorite vegetables
- 1 ½ cups water or broth
- 1 tablespoon, butter or oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place water or broth in microwave safe bowl and place in oven. Cook for approximately 45 seconds or until water has boiled.
- Place couscous in bowl or other container and pour boiling water over the couscous. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Place butter or oil, scallion, vegetable and chicken into a microwave safe bowl and mix well. Cover lightly with plastic wrap. Cook on high for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- Carefully remove plastic wrap from couscous and lightly fluff with a fork. Add vegetables to couscous with lemon zest, salt and pepper and toss to incorporate all ingredients.